visual cortex


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to visual cortex: auditory cortex

cortex

 [kor´teks] (pl. cor´tices) (L.)
the outer layer of an organ or other structure, as distinguished from its inner substance or medulla. adj., adj cor´tical.
adrenal cortex (cortex of adrenal gland) the outer, firm layer comprising the larger part of the adrenal gland; it secretes mineralocorticoids, androgens, and glucocorticoids.
cerebellar cortex the superficial gray matter of the cerebellum.
cerebral cortex (cortex cerebra´lis) the convoluted layer of gray matter covering each cerebral hemisphere. See also brain.
renal cortex the granular outer layer of the kidney, composed mainly of glomeruli and convoluted tubules, extending in columns between the pyramids that constitute the renal medulla.
striate cortex part of the occipital lobe that receives the fibers of the optic radiation and serves as the primary receiving area for vision. Called also first visual area.
visual cortex the area of the occipital lobe of the cerebral cortex concerned with vision; the striate cortex is also called the first visual area, and the adjacent second and third visual areas serve as its association areas.

vis·u·al cor·tex

the region of the cerebral cortex occupying the entire surface of the occipital lobe, and composed of Brodmann areas 17-19. Brodmann area 17 (which is also called striate cortex or area because the line of Gennari is grossly visible on its surface) is the primary visual cortex, receiving the visual radiation from the lateral geniculate body of the thalamus. The surrounding Brodmann areas 18 (parastriate cortex or area) and 19 (peristriate cortex or area) are probably involved in subsequent steps of visual information processing; Brodmann area 18 is referred to as the secondary visual cortex.
Synonym(s): visual area

vis·u·al cor·tex

(vizh'ū-ăl kōr'teks)
The region of the cerebral cortex occupying the entire surface of the occipital lobe, and composed of Brodmann areas 17-19. Area 17 (which is also called the striate cortex or area because the line of Gennari is grossly visible on its surface) is the primary visual cortex, receiving the visual radiation from the lateral geniculate body of the thalamus. The surrounding Brodmann areas 18 (parastriate cortex or area) and 19 (peristriate cortex or area) are probably involved in subsequent steps of visual information processing; area 18 is referred to as the secondary visual cortex.
Synonym(s): visual area.

visual cortex

the thin outer layer of grey matter in the occipital region of the CEREBRUM that is concerned with the interpretation of information from the eyes.
References in periodicals archive ?
Krubitzer, "Connections of auditory and visual cortex in the prairie vole (Microtus ochrogaster): evidence for multisensory processing in primary sensory areas," Cerebral Cortex, vol.
Furthermore, it is aimed to explore the plasticity of the visual cortex after vision improvement in terms of the functional changes of both some specific subareas within the visual cortex and higher cognitive networks that extend beyond the visual cortex.
Role of layer 6 of V2 visual cortex in object-recognition memory.
About 90% of the output from the retina flows to the LGN and then to V1, whereas the remaining 10% is projected to the superior colliculus and then to the pulvinar, reciprocally connecting with the extrastriate areas surrounding the primary visual cortex (Tong, 2003).
The 2-week-long treatment also increased the regional cerebral blood flow (CBF) especially in the thalamus, basal ganglia and visual cortex of the nonsymptomatic hemisphere.
As a result, it was found that neural response elicited by the stimuli at the attended location is amplified in the primary visual cortex (V1) and primary auditory cortex (A1) as they first arrive there.
The magazine you're now holding, or the computer screen you're looking at, sends constantly changing inputs to your eye and optic nerve, but the subsequent pattern of neurons firing in your visual cortex displays an underlying stability.
This can be made through the activation of a population of neurons or represented in a hypercolumn in the visual cortex, but being one or the other it has a specific pattern that allows that object to be recognised as unique.
In addition, specialized neural populations exist in different areas of the visual cortex both within and between hemispheres that are more responsive to some features than others (for example, color, motion, size, shape, volume, brightness, and binocular disparity, among others).
NEURONAL DENSITY IN PRIMARY VISUAL CORTEX (17 VISUAL AREA), IN TWO WILD RODENT SPECIES
Kahn, indeed, could not imagine a building viewed other than in natural light but the Western predilection for flooding our buildings with daylight leaves little for our visual cortex or our imagination to infill.