1) As a result, several surgical complications have been reported following posterior tympanotomy for cochlear implantation, such as facial paralysis and taste disorders.
The most serious complication of posterior tympanotomy is paralysis of the facial nerve and/or chorda tympani.
17) On the other hand, a number of authors recommend rapid exploratory tympanotomy (EXT) and subsequent obliteration of the fistula if present to prevent further loss of perilymph and to effect a complete recovery, (10,15,18-20) However, the benefits of surgery have not been proven beyond doubt, and its indications remain controversial.
Audiometric findings, hearing gains, and recovery rates according to the duration of hearing loss prior to tympanotomy 250 Hz 1 kHz 4 kHz 8 kHz Preoperative hearing, 84.
Because we were still unable to find an explanation for the apparent middle ear mass, we performed an exploratory tympanotomy.
6) We assume that this was why a diagnosis could not be reached prior to the exploratory tympanotomy.
The treatment of choice for glomus tympanicum tumors is surgical: tympanotomy
for smaller lesions and mastoidectomy for larger lesions.
2) The preferred method of establishing a diagnosis is visual inspection during exploratory tympanotomy, even though findings are often equivocal.
9) He described the cases of 3 patients who each experienced tinnitus, vertigo, and fluctuating hearing loss following head trauma; each was found to have a leak of perilymph from the oval window area during exploratory tympanotomy.
The patient was taken to the operating room for exploratory tympanotomy
and repair of the CSF leak.