apron(redirected from tied to apron strings)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to tied to apron strings: tied to his mother's apron strings
apron(ā′prŏn) [Fr. naperon, cloth]
1. An outer garment covering the front of the body for protection of clothing during surgery or certain nursing procedures.
2. Part of the body resembling an apron, e.g., redundant skin and underlying adipose tissue of the lower abdomen.
An apron that contains lead or equivalent material and is sufficiently pliable to wear as protection from ionizing radiation. It is used to shield patients and personnel during radiological procedures.
1. the long hair under the neck and front of the chest seen in rough collie dogs.
2. large skin folds carried on the ventral neck of some strains of merino sheep.
3. a piece of leather suspended under the belly of a ram in front of the prepuce to prevent mating when the ram is used as a teaser.
4. the concrete slab placed in front of feeders in feedlots to reduce muddiness.