thymus extract(redirected from thymomodulin)
thymus extract(thahy-muhs) ,
thymus polypeptides(trade name)
Respiratory infections.Allergic rhinitis.Asthma.Food allergies.
Thymus extract is derived from bovine thymus glands. It induces T-lymphocyte maturation, stimulates T-cell proliferation, enhances mature T-cell function and has indirect effects on macrophages and B-cell functions. It also reduces airway hyperresponsiveness to methacholine in atopic asthma patients.
Improved immune function.
Reduced acute asthma attacks.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Contraindicated in: Hypersensitivity.Immunocompromised patients should only use products that are certified pathogen-free to reduce the risk of infection from diseased animal parts.
Use Cautiously in: Pregnancy and lactation.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
- Potential risk of contamination from diseased animal parts.
InteractionsAvoid use withimmunosuppressants unless products are certified pathogen-free.None.
Oral (Adults) 750 mg/day of crude thymus polypeptide fraction or 120 mg/day of pure thymus polypeptides (thymomodulin).
- Assess symptoms of cold or allergies related to the purpose thymus extract is being taken.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesRisk for infection (Indications)
- Oral: Administer as recommended.
- Discuss with patient purpose for taking thymus extract.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Improvement in symptoms of cold or allergic rhinitis.