thalassemia minor


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.

thalassemia

 [thal″ah-se´me-ah]
a heterogeneous group of hereditary hemolytic anemias marked by a decreased rate of synthesis of one or more hemoglobin polypeptide chains, classified according to the chain involved (α, β, δ); the two major categories are α- and β-thalassemia.
α-thalassemia (alpha-thalassemia) that caused by diminished synthesis of alpha chains of hemoglobin. The homozygous form is incompatible with life, the stillborn infant displaying severe hydrops fetalis. The heterozygous form may be asymptomatic or marked by mild anemia.
β-thalassemia (beta-thalassemia) that caused by diminished synthesis of beta chains of hemoglobin. The homozygous form is called t. major and the heterozygous form is called t. minor.
thalassemia ma´jor the homozygous form of β-thalassemia, in which hemoglobin A is completely absent; it appears in the newborn period and is marked by hemolytic, hypochromic, microcytic anemia; hepatosplenomegaly; skeletal deformation; mongoloid facies; and cardiac enlargement.
thalassemia mi´nor the heterozygous form of β-thalassemia; it is usually asymptomatic, but there may be mild anemia.
sickle cell–thalassemia a hereditary anemia involving simultaneous heterozygosity for hemoglobin S and thalassemia.

thal·as·se·mi·a mi·nor

[MIM*141800-142310 passim]
the heterozygous state of a thalassemia gene or a hemoglobin Lepore gene; usually asymptomatic and quite variable hematologically, with target cells, mild hypochromic microcytosis, and often slightly reduced hemoglobin level with slightly increased erythrocyte count; types of hemoglobin are variable and depend on the gene involved.

thalassemia minor

Thalassemia trait Hematology The carrier state for beta thalassemia–heterozygosity, possession of one thalassemia gene; the person is essentially normal

thal·as·se·mi·a mi·nor

(thal'ă-sē'mē-ă mī'nŏr)
The heterozygous state of a thalassemia gene or a hemoglobin Lepore gene; usually asymptomatic and widely variable hematologically, with target cells, mild hypochromic microcytosis, and often slightly reduced hemoglobin level with slightly increased erythrocyte count; types of hemoglobin are variable and depend on the gene involved.
Synonym(s): thalassaemia minor.

Cooley,

Thomas B., U.S. pediatrician, 1871-1945.
Cooley anemia - the syndrome of severe anemia with multiple organ disorders. Synonym(s): thalassemia major
Cooley trait - Synonym(s): thalassemia minor

thal·as·se·mi·a mi·nor

(thal'ă-sē'mē-ă mī'nŏr) [MIM*141800142310 passim, MIM*141800, MIM*141800-142310 passim]
Heterozygous state of a thalassemia gene or a hemoglobin Lepore gene; usually asymptomatic and quite variable hematologically.
Synonym(s): thalassaemia minor.
References in periodicals archive ?
i) If both the parents are patients of thalassemia minor then there are 25% of chances that their child will be a patient of thalassemia major.
To the best of our knowledge, this is the first case report that involves the coexistence of SCA and beta thalassemia minor accompanied by amyloidosis secondary to FMF with the heterozygote E148Q mutation.
Whenever two thalassemia minors have a child there are 25 per cent chances of thalassemia major child, 50 per cent chances of thalassemia minor child and 25 per cent chances of a normal.
Thirdly: Heterozygous beta-thalassemia (thalassemia minor) is described as: no or mild anemia, microcytosis and hypochromia, mild hemolysis manifested by slight reticulocytosis and splenomegaly [2].
The condition ranges from thalassemia minor, the trait that causes a mild microcytic anemia, which does not need treatment, to thalassemia intermedia, a complicated condition needing physician attention in which blood transfusions improve the patient's quality of life, to thalassemia major, a complex illness needing extensive and ongoing medical treatment.
'In case the male is diagnosed as Thalassemia minor the female (would be spouse) shall also be required for screening' said the Minister.
Pakistan has an estimated carrier rate of 8-10 percent (around ten million people) of Thalassemia Minor whereas annually almost 6-8 thousand children are born with the deadly disease of Thalassemia Major.
He said that Thalassemia minor is a form of disease in which patient won't have any symptoms but he or she will be carrier of the disease and the symptoms of thalassemia minor are very mild.
Thalassemia has several types depending on the causative genetic mutation while has mainly three clinical types namely Thalassemia minor (mild anaemia), Thalassemia Intermedia (moderate anaemia) and Thalassemia major (severe anaemia).
Objective: The tendency to autoimmune diseases has been reported to be increased in beta thalassemia minor (BTM).
Differentiating iron deficiency anemia from thalassemia minor by using an RDW-based index.
of Cases % Hereditary Haemolytic Anaemia Thalassemia Major 12 23.07% Thalassemia Minor 1 1.97% Sickle Cell Anaemia 11 21.15% Sickle Cell Trait 4 7.69% Sickle Thalassemia 4 7.69% Hereditary Persistence of Foetal Haemoglobin 1 1.92% Acquired Haemolytic Anaemia Malaria 17 32.69% Autoimmune Haemolytic Anaemia 2 3.84% Age at First Presentation with Thalassemia Major Age in Months No.