ankle

(redirected from talocrural joint)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to talocrural joint: Subtalar joint

ankle

 [ang´k'l]
1. the joint between the leg and foot.
2. the area around this joint (see illustration).
Ankle.
The ankle is a hinge joint formed by the junction of the tibia and fibula with the talus (ankle bone). The bones are cushioned by cartilage and connected by a number of ligaments, tendons, and muscles that strengthen the joint and enable it to be moved. Because it is in almost constant use, the ankle is particularly susceptible to injuries, such as sprain and fracture. It is also often one of the first joints to be affected by arthritis or gout.
tarsus (def. 2).
ankle cuff a weighted strip wrapped around the ankle and closed with a Velcro band; used during exercise.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.

an·kle

(ang'kl),
1. Synonym(s): ankle joint
2. The region of the ankle joint.
3. Synonym(s): tarsus
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012

ankle

(ăng′kəl)
n.
1. The joint formed by the articulation of the lower leg bones with the talus. The ankle connects the foot with the leg.
2. The slender section of the leg immediately above the foot.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

an·kle

(ang'kĕl)
1. Synonym(s): ankle joint.
2. The region of the ankle joint.
3. Synonym(s): talus.
[A.S. ancleon]
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012

ankle

The joint between the lower ends of the TIBIA and FIBULA and the upper surface of the talus bone of the foot. The talus sits on top of the heel bone (calcaneum).
Collins Dictionary of Medicine © Robert M. Youngson 2004, 2005

Patient discussion about ankle

Q. What Causes ankle Swelling? My son woke up this morning with a red, swollen ankle. What could cause this situation?

A. A swollen and red ankle suggest either a traumatic injury to the joint or an infection in the joint, adjacent tissues or bones. This is an emergency and it is important to consult a doctor as soon as possible, especially if the joint loses its ability to perform movements in all directions.

Q. What do you do for a sprained ankle?

A. R.I.C.E. - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation

Q. How does ice help a sprained ankle or other injury? While I exercise I often get sprain. I have seen many times that ice is used as a first aid for sprains. How does ice help a sprained ankle or other injury?

A. it does two helpful things- lower the pain (cold can do that) and prevent swelling. the swelling is a body normal reaction that protects the area that was injured. but we would like to avoid it because it'll strain us.

More discussions about ankle
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.
References in periodicals archive ?
report that 72% of the variance of the hindfoot is explained by the change of the subtalar joint [1], which means that the remaining 28% should be influenced by other components, including the talocrural joint. Furthermore, we investigated almost twice as many limbs (407 limbs) compared with Nakada et al.
Subtalar joint is more susceptible in RA than talocrural joint [13], and only about 15% of the RA patients who had more than 20-year disease duration show affected talocrural joint (Larsen grade [greater than or equal to] 3) [22].
Therefore, in releve the fulcrum is the metatarsophalangeal region on the floor, the resistance is the body weight exerted through the talocrural joint, and the force of action is exerted by the triceps surae inserted at the posterior calcaneus via the Achilles' tendon (Fig.
This also is a second class lever system because the force of the dorsiflexors is exerted forward of the resistance (which is again the force of the body weight through the talocrural joint).
Also, the talocrural joint (TC) axis is discussed as the axis of demi-pointe, full pointe, and demi-plie.
Any joint in the lower extremity is able to move independent of the talocrural joint (TC); that is, the other joints are not necessarily affected by ankle movements.
The third distal part of the calf showed slightly less favorable outcome as compared to the middle and proximal ones, due to the fact that the lesions were in the vicinity of talocrural joints.
A last point is that because inversion and eversion involve three-dimensional movements at the talocalcaneal and talocrural joints [39, 40], there is no fixed axis of ankle rotation in the frontal plane.