Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to spongy layer: palisade layer
The middle layer of the uterine endometrium; contains dilated portions of uterine glands. Synonym: stratum spongiosum
See also: layer
1. stratum; a sheetlike mass of tissue of nearly uniform thickness, several of which may be superimposed, one above the other, as in the epidermis.
2. a commercial fowl which is laying eggs, i.e. a female of more than about 5 months of age, up to the stage of being a 'spent hen' suitable only for slaughter.
1. the deepest layer of the epidermis. See also stratum basale.
2. the deepest layer of the uterine mucosa.
germ layer (see below).
stratum lucidum; the clear translucent layer of the epidermis, just beneath the horny layer.
1. layer of rods and cones.
2. mantle layer.
the layer of the endometrium nearest the surface, containing the necks of the uterine glands.
the compact and spongy layers of the endometrium considered together.
cerebellar ganglionic layer
the thin middle gray layer of the cortex of the cerebellum, consisting of a single layer of Purkinje cells.
any of the three primary layers of cells formed in the early development of the embryo (ectoderm, entoderm and mesoderm), from which the organs and tissues develop.
any proliferative layer such as the basal layer of the epidermis or the lower layer of the claw, from which the claw grows.
1. the layer of epidermis between the clear and prickle-cell layers; called also stratum granulosum.
2. the deep layer of the cortex of the cerebellum.
3. the layer of follicle cells lining the theca of the vesicular ovarian follicle.
1. stratum corneum; the outermost layer of the epidermis, consisting of dead and desquamating cells.
2. the outer, compact layer of the claw, etc.
granular layer (1).
the middle layer of the wall of the primitive neural tube, containing primitive nerve cells and later forming the gray matter of the central nervous system.
all of the retina except the pigment layer; the inner layer of the optic cup.
stratum spinosum; the layer of the epidermis between the granular and basal layers, marked by the presence of prickle cells.
layer of rods and cones
a layer of the retina immediately beneath the pigment epithelium, between it and the external limiting membrane, containing the rods and cones.
the middle layer of the endometrium, containing the tortuous portions of the uterine glands.
the layer of loose fibrous tissue uniting the endocardium and myocardium.
zonal layer of thalamus
a layer of myelinated fibers covering the dorsal surface of the thalamus.