sober(redirected from sobered)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to sobered: somber
adj. sober·er, sober·est
1. Not intoxicated or affected by the use of alcohol or drugs.
2. Abstaining from or habitually abstemious in the use of alcoholic drink or other intoxicants: a former addict who has been sober for 10 years.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
sober(sō′bĕr) [L. sobrius, not drunk, sober]
1. Not intoxicated by alcohol or psychoactive drugs, including recreational drugs.
2. Habitually moderate or temperate, esp. regarding alcohol.
3. Quiet and serious in behavior.
Medical Dictionary, © 2009 Farlex and Partners