serious emotional disturbance
Also found in: Acronyms, Wikipedia.
serious emotional disturbanceA paediatric condition characterised by one or more of the following features, occurring over a long period of time and to a degree that adversely affects a child’s educational performance:
(1) An inability to learn that cannot be explained by intellectual, sensory, or health factors;
(2) An inability to build or maintain satisfactory interpersonal relationships with peers or teachers;
(3) Inappropriate types of behaviour or feelings under normal circumstances;
(4) A general pervasive mood of unhappiness or depression;
(5) A tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems.