Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. division into similar parts.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. The act of dividing into segments; the state of being divided into segments.
2. Synonym(s): cleavage (2)
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
1. Division into segments.
2. Embryology See cleavage.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
segmentationRepetitive bowel contractions affecting short fixed lengths but without shift of position as in peristalsis. Segmentation functions to mix and homogenize the bowel contents but is not concerned with their transport.
Collins Dictionary of Medicine © Robert M. Youngson 2004, 2005
- the process of cutting off one part of an organism from another, as in CLEAVAGE of an OVUM.
- the production of metameres in METAMERIC SEGMENTATION.
- the cutting off by a cross wall of a multinucleate portion of a filament or HYPHA.
Collins Dictionary of Biology, 3rd ed. © W. G. Hale, V. A. Saunders, J. P. Margham 2005
Act of dividing into segments.
Medical Dictionary for the Dental Professions © Farlex 2012