Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of the cells that envelop the bodies of nerve cells within the peripheral nervous system.
2. A mononuclear undifferentiated cell that is found in skeletal muscle fibers and promotes their growth, repair, and regeneration.
1. in genetics, a knob of chromatin connected by a stalk to the short arm of certain chromosomes.
2. a minor, or attendant, lesion situated near a large one.
3. a vein that closely accompanies an artery.
4. exhibiting satellitism.
cells present in nervous and muscle tissue, whose numbers diminish with age, which are involved in repair when damage occurs. They are capable of migration, reorientation, can proliferate, form myoblasts and myotubes, and form long cytoplasmic tails that act as tethers when they migrate.