saddle(redirected from roof saddle)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A structure shaped like, or suggestive of, a seat or saddle used in horseback riding. Synonym(s): sella
2. Synonym(s): denture base
Etymology: AS, sadol
1 a support whose shape fits the contour of the object resting on it.
2 a saddle-shaped structure or part.
3 See denture base.
1. A structure shaped like, or suggestive of, a seat or saddle as used in horseback riding.
2. Synonym(s): denture base.
1. Synonym(s): denture base.
2. A structure shaped like, or suggestive of, a seat or saddle used in horseback riding.
n See base, denture.
n See connector, major.
n See base, metal.
n a sunken nasal bridge caused by injury or disease and resulting in damage to the nasal septum.
1. the back region over the thoracic vertebrae.
2. a coat color marking in dogs, usually black, located over the back. Seen in Beagles.
3. a piece of harness for either riding or draft.
an oldfashioned saddle with a basket in place of the seat into which a child could be strapped and taken for a ride.
worn between the saddle and the horse it provides a little extra protection for the horse but mainly keeps the saddle lining clean.
has the same basic structure as a riding saddle but has ornaments in the place of the rider's seat. It is attached to the horse by the girth and supports two leather loops or tugs at about elbow height which carry the shafts and support the weight of the vehicle being drawn.
has a metal tree and bars as a skeleton, the tree providing a structure to keep pressure off the dorsal processes of the spinal vertebrae and the bars to spread the pressure of the rider's weight evenly over the muscles on either side. Covered with leather, lined with serge and stuffed with wool flock. There are many styles, the simplest being the English army saddle which has no adornments, no comfort index but never wears out.
see equine staphylococcal dermatitis.
saddle sore, saddle gall
a pressure sore caused by bad riding technique or more commonly a badly fitting or poorly stuffed saddle.