resuscitation injuryA general term for any mechanical, compressive or therapy-related injury caused by efforts to resuscitate an unconscious victim, which may mimic intentional (assault) injuries.
External resuscitation injuries
• Bruising anterior chest;
• Burns from defibrillator pads;
• Injuries related to obtaining vascular access, pericardiocentesis, pneumothorax decompression, chest drain insertion;
• Endotracheal tube/airway;
• Bruising around lips/mouth.
Internal resuscitation injuries
• Rib fractures ±haemorrhage in intercostal muscles (usually anterior and lateral, not posterior);
• Lung contusions.
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.