Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
Pelageya Danilovna began to recognize the mummers, admired their cleverly contrived costumes, and particularly how they suited the young ladies, and she thanked them all for having entertained her so well.
To begin with, it might seem at first sight more correct to define recognition as "I have seen this before" than as "this has existed before." We recognize a thing
(it may be urged) as having been in our experience before, whatever that may mean; we do not recognize it as merely having been in the world before.
A second point is that, when we recognize something, it was not in fact the very same thing, but only something similar, that we experienced on a former occasion.
Edmond smiled when he beheld himself: it was impossible that his best friend -- if, indeed, he had any friend left -- could recognize him; he could not recognize himself.
It was in this costume, and bringing back to Jacopo the shirt and trousers he had lent him, that Edmond reappeared before the captain of the lugger, who had made him tell his story over and over again before he could believe him, or recognize in the neat and trim sailor the man with thick and matted beard, hair tangled with seaweed, and body soaking in seabrine, whom he had picked up naked and nearly drowned.
Two months and a half elapsed in these trips, and Edmond had become as skilful a coaster as he had been a hardy seaman; he had formed an acquaintance with all the smugglers on the coast, and learned all the Masonic signs by which these half pirates recognize each other.
He could recognize in no one but himself an indubitable right to love her.
"Have you passed a good night?" he asked, bowing to her and her husband together, and leaving it up to Alexey Alexandrovitch to accept the bow on his own account, and to recognize it or not, as he might see fit.
"We are all four lost, if by the least gesture you discover that you recognize him."
Charles glanced a moment at the insolent creature who uttered this, but did not recognize him.
"Do not breathe a word nor make the least sign to me or Porthos," said D'Artagnan to Athos and Aramis, "that you recognize this man, for Milady is not dead; her soul lives in the body of this demon."
Medical browser ?
- reciprocity law
- Recklinghausen canal
- Recklinghausen tumor
- Recklinghausen, Friedrich D. von
- Recklinghausen, Friedrich Daniel von
- Recklinghausen's disease
- Recklinghausen's disease of bone
- reclining position
- Reclus disease
- Reclus, Paul
- recluse spider
- recognition factor
- recognition factors
- recognition of death
- recognition time
- recoil atom
- recoil thrust
- recombinant deoxyribonucleic acid
- recombinant DNA
- Recombinant DNA Advisory Committee
- recombinant DNA technology
- recombinant gamete
- recombinant human antihemophilic factor
- recombinant human interleukin 11
- recombinant pharmacology
- recombinant protein
- recombinant toxin
- recombinant vector
- recombination fraction
- recombination repair
- recombinatorial repair
- Recombivax HB
- recommended control range
Full browser ?
- Recognized Student Club/Organization
- Recognized Student Organization
- recognized surface picture
- recognized them as
- recognized them by
- recognized them for
- recognized them for what they are
- recognized us as
- recognized us by
- recognized us for
- recognized us for what we are
- Recognized Veterinary Specialty Organization
- Recognized Visual Space of Illumination
- recognized you as
- recognized you by
- recognized you for
- recognized you for what you are
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year
- Recognizer Output Voting Error Reduction
- recognizes as
- recognizes by
- recognizes for
- recognizes for what it is
- recognizes for what someone is
- recognizes for what something is
- recognizes her as
- recognizes her by
- recognizes her for
- recognizes her for what she is
- recognizes him as
- recognizes him by
- recognizes him for
- recognizes him for what he is
- recognizes it as
- recognizes it by
- recognizes it for
- recognizes it for what it is
- recognizes me as
- recognizes me by
- recognizes me for
- recognizes me for what I am
- recognizes one as
- recognizes one by
- recognizes one for
- recognizes one for what one is
- recognizes someone for what someone is
- recognizes something for what it is
- recognizes them as
- recognizes them by