In any case, having pushed the inexperienced couple to accept increasing risks in trade for spectacular views, twice-bitten Henry gets delirious and dies, while the spooked mules beat a hasty retreat, leaving Lori and Nick to consider munching rattlesnake meat
as they wander the craggy landscape in circles and, alas, discuss their dreams of canyon pizza delivery in cringe-inducing detail.
In particular, rattlesnake meat, (2,13,18,24) capsules (1,4,5,9-12,14,19,32,33), and powders (3,20) have been linked to infection with S arizona, although other animals or animal products have been implicated, including reptiles, poultry, sheep, rats, dogs, and cats.
Serious human infections were very rare until multiple cases were identified in the 1980s, associated with widespread use of rattlesnake meat, capsules, and powders in the Latino communities in the southwestern United States as a form of alternative medicinal therapy.
In a case series reported by Kraus, the mean time from exposure to infection was 3 months, (45) though Cortes documented a case in which the last known exposure to rattlesnake meat was up to 6 years earlier.
Salmonella arizonae bacteremia as the presenting manifestation of human immunodeficiency virus infection following rattlesnake meat ingestion.
Rattlesnake meat ingestion and Salmonella arizona infection in children: case report and review of the literature.