Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. In chemistry, a substance that increases the activity of a catalyst.
2. In molecular biology, a DNA sequence at which RNA polymerase binds and initiates transcription.
1. One that promotes, especially an active supporter or advocate.
2. A financial and publicity organizer, as of a boxing match or an artistic performance.
3. Genetics The region of an operon that acts as the initial binding site for RNA polymerase.
1. chemistry A substance that increases the activity of a catalyst.
2. molecular biology A DNA sequence at which RNA polymerase binds and initiates transcription.
promoterIn genetics, a nucleotide sequence at the start of a gene to which RNA polymerase must bind before the process of transcription can start. The promoter is located UPSTREAM of the gene it regulates.
promotera cis- acting (see CIS -ACTIVE) NUCLEOTIDE sequence on a DNA molecule which promotes the initiation of TRANSCRIPTION by allowing the assembly of proteins, including RNA POLYMERASE (or its equivalent), in transcriptional complexes. see OPERON MODEL. The promoter generally lies UPSTREAM of the transcription start site.
Patient discussion about promoter
Q. I am interested in social service. So what can I do to promote a healthy pregnancy?
A. Hi friend, once you're pregnant, a regular checkup is the key. Your health professional might want to monitor your baby's growth and watch for problems that can only be detected by checking your blood pressure, urine, and blood regularly. Anything you do that harms your body harms your fetus. Take special care: To avoid: tobacco smoking, alcohol, drugs, chemicals, radiation (as from X-rays), and sources of infection. Keep your body temperature from getting too high [over 100.4° (38°)] by treating any fevers with acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) and avoiding exercise or activity that overheats you. Also avoid high-temperature hot tubs and saunas. Take extra-good care of yourself while you're pregnant. Everything healthy you do for your body benefits your growing fetus. Rest when you need it, eat well, and exercise regularly.More discussions about promoter