procedures of limited clinical value
procedures of limited clinical valueDiagnostic or therapeutic procedures which have been deemed by the Public Health Commissioning Network (UK) to be of little clinical usefulness or efficacy, and thus not paid for (commissioned) by public funds.
Procedures of limited clinical value
• Cholecystectomy for asymptomatic gallstones;
• ENT surgery for snoring;
• Laser treatment of myopia;
• Reversal of male sterility;
• Shoulder resurfacing arthroplasty (pending NICE consideration);
• Surgery for removing anal skin tags (a cosmetic procedure);
• Therapeutic use of ultrasound in hip and knee osteoarthritis.