presynaptic membrane

pre·syn·ap·tic mem·brane

that part of the plasma membrane of an axon terminal that faces the plasma membrane of the neuron or muscle fiber with which the axon terminal establishes a synaptic junction; many synaptic junctions exhibit structural presynaptic characteristics, such as conic electron-dense internal protrusions, which distinguish it from the remainder of the axon's plasma membrane.
See also: synapse.

pre·syn·ap·tic membrane

(prē'si-nap'tik mem'brān)
That part of the plasma membrane of an axon terminal that faces the plasma membrane of the neuron or muscle fiber with which the axon terminal establishes a synaptic junction.
See also: synapse

presynaptic membrane

the excitable membrane of the axon terminal next to the dendrite at a synapse.
References in periodicals archive ?
2+] to the presynaptic membrane and then neurotransmitters such as glutamate, acetylcholine, and GABA are released in the form of vesicles.
This process involves the fusion of the presynaptic vesicle, which contains acetylcholine with the presynaptic membrane and is mediated by a set of SNARE (soluble N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive fusion attachment protein receptor) proteins (Smith & Chancellor, 2004).
Another explanation is the modulation of neuromuscular transmission, due to lowered number of vesicles fused with the presynaptic membrane and quantal size of acetylcholin (ACh) per vesicle (Reid et al.
Choline is recycled by an active pump at the presynaptic membrane for the formation of more acetylcholine.
cruzi, as well as ischemia and alterations in the presynaptic membrane densities in the active zones, shows that the abnormal mice NMJ is associated with an activity dependent modulation of the neurotransmission, producing abnormal motor activity and paralysis of the rear limbs mice while still in the acute Chagas'disease.
A neuromuscular junction is comprised of three components--the presynaptic membrane, the synaptic cleft, and the postsynaptic membrane.
5 nm/msec, which is not far from the right order of magnitude, bearing in mind the distances of the vesicles from the presynaptic membrane (3) and the exocytosis process times.
1] Autoreceptors on the presynaptic membrane, or even the presynaptic cell body, are often indirect and regulate transmitter release.
The vesicles formed a single layer along the presynaptic membrane, which was surrounded by a granular, dense matrix.
2]-adrenergic receptors that exist on the presynaptic membrane of both serotonergic (i.
When the endorphin system is activated, opiate receptor sites are filled with endorphins that block the release and slow the production of chemical messengers of pain (substance P) from the presynaptic membrane.
In Torpedo these forms constitute 40% of total AChE; the hydrophobic (6S) form, localized in the presynaptic membrane, accounts for the other 60% (Li and Bon, 1983).