Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
a. Absorbed in thought; engrossed.
b. Excessively concerned with something; distracted.
2. Formerly or already occupied.
3. Already used and therefore unavailable for further use. Used of taxonomic names.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
avoidant personality disorderPsychology A pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, which begins by early adulthood, and is present in various contexts
- Avoidant personality disorder-DSM 301.82
- Requires 4 + of the following
- Avoids occupational activities
- involving significant interpersonal contact, due to fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
- Unwilling to get involved
- with people unless certain of being liked
- Restraint in intimate relationships
- due to fear of ridicule or shame
- with social criticism or rejection
- Inhibited in new interpersonal situations
- due to feelings of inadequacy
- Negative self image
- Views self as socially inept, unappealing, or inferior to others
- Reluctant to take risks
- or engage in activites that have the potential for being embarrassing
McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.