the symptomatic and supportive care given a patient who has been exposed to or who has ingested a toxic drug, commercial chemical, or other dangerous substance. In the case of oral poisoning a primary effort should be directed toward recovery of the toxic substance before it can be absorbed into the body tissues. If vomiting does not occur spontaneously, it usually should be induced after first identifying the poison, if possible, and calling a poison control center. If the poison is a petroleum distillate, such as kerosene, or a caustic or corrosive substance, vomiting should not be induced. Before any attempt to induce emesis, the victim, if conscious, should be given one or two glasses of milk or water. A carbonated beverage should never be given to an oral poisoning patient. Because of the danger of hypernatremia, the patient, particularly a child, should not be given water containing salt or mustard. Syrup of ipecac can be given, if available, to induce vomiting, and the dose can be repeated one time. If the ipecac fails to induce vomiting, vomiting should be encouraged by stimulating the patient's gag reflex at the back of the throat. Ipecac, which can be a GI irritant, should not be allowed to remain in the stomach. It also should not be given with milk or charcoal, both of which can interfere with its action. In certain cases an antidote may be administered to render the poison inert or to prevent its absorption, as by giving a mild solution of vinegar or citrus juice to neutralize an alkali. A physician should be summoned to take charge of the case.
Patient discussion about poisoning treatment
Q. How Do You Treat Food Poisoning? I've been suffering from food poisoning for the last two days, is there a way to treat it? Is there specific food I should avoid?
A. The most important treatment for food poisoning is drinking water. The body loses many fluids and the danger is dehydration. Our body can last longer without food than it can without water, and therefore it is ok to avoid eating as much as you used to for a short period of time until your digestive system can recover. However it is very dangerous to avoid drinking, despite the possible vomiting.At any sign of dehydration (fatigue, dizziness) you should seek medical care. In case your symptoms go on loger than expected you should visit your doctor, because antibiotic treatment may help as well.More discussions about poisoning treatment