pityriasis versicolor


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pityriasis versicolor: pityriasis alba

pityriasis

 [pit″ĭ-ri´ah-sis]
any of various skin diseases characterized by the formation of fine, branny scales.
acute lichenoid pityriasis an acute or subacute, sometimes relapsing, widespread macular, papular, or vesicular eruption that tends to crusting, necrosis, and hemorrhage; when it heals it leaves pigmented depressed scars, followed by a new crop of lesions. Progression to the chronic lichenoid form occasionally occurs.
pityriasis al´ba a chronic condition with patchy scaling and hypopigmentation of the skin of the face.
chronic lichenoid pityriasis a chronic brown to red-brown scaly macular eruption, seen mainly on the trunk, with epidermal changes and a perivascular lymphocytic infiltrate. It may arise independently or happen as a progression of the acute lichenoid form.
pityriasis ro´sea a common acute or subacute, self-limited exanthematous disease of unknown etiology. It begins with a solitary red to tan plaque (herald plaque), usually on the trunk, arms, or thighs, which is followed by similar but smaller papular or macular lesions; these later may peel and leave a scaly collarette.
pityriasis ru´bra pila´ris a chronic inflammatory skin disease marked by pink scaling macules and cone-shaped horny follicular papules; it usually begins with severe seborrhea of the scalp and face, associated with keratoderma of palms and soles.
pityriasis versi´color tinea versicolor.

tin·e·a ver·sic·'o·lor

an eruption of tan or brown branny patches on the skin of the trunk, often appearing white, in contrast with hyperpigmented skin after exposure to the summer sun; caused by growth of the fungus Malassezia furfur in the stratum corneum with minimal inflammatory reaction.

tin·e·a ver·si·col·or

(tin'ē-ă vĕr'si-kŏ-lŏr)
An eruption of tan or brown branny patches on the skin of the trunk, often appearing white, in contrast with hyperpigmented skin after exposure to the summer sun; caused by growth of Malassezia furfur in the stratum corneum with minimal inflammatory reaction.
Synonym(s): pityriasis versicolor.

pityriasis versicolor

A common fungus infection of the outer layer of the skin (the EPIDERMIS) that causes white, brown, or salmon-coloured flaking patches. The condition may be inapparent until the unaffected skin becomes tanned by the sun. Treatment is by antifungal creams or lotions.
References in periodicals archive ?
In different studies, treatment with ketoconazole solution wash or ketoconazole soap as an adjunct to topical antifungal therapy in the management of Pityriasis versicolor was more effective in rates of cure as well as preventing recurrence8-9.
Hair loss in pityriasis versicolor lesions: A descriptive clinicopathological study.
Showing Distribution of Cases Male Female Total Cases Vitiligo 1 2 3 Pityriasis Versicolor 12 16 28 Pityriasis alba 13 19 32 Nevus anemicus 1 3 4 Nevus 1 2 3 depigmentosus Post-inflammatory 2 3 5 hypopigmentation Atopic dermatitis 5 7 12 Tinea incognito 2 3 5 Seborrheic 5 3 8 dermatitis Total 42 58 100 Chart 1.
The observation of the circle or ovalshaped yeast fascicles (clump) together with short and curved Hyphae on either the potassium slide or scotch tape slide were indicative of Pityriasis Versicolor disease in the suspected patients.
Malassezia furfur is considered a component of cutaneous normal flora which under certain conditions transforms into its pathogenic mycelial form and produces skin lesions of pityriasis versicolor. Poor hygiene chronic infections hyperhidrosis malnutrition prolonged use of steroids or broad spectrum antibiotics stress pregnancy and genetic factors may contribute to the development of pityriasis versicolor.3
The back was the commonest site (60%) of tinea corporis, while the face was the commonest site (95.7%) for pityriasis versicolor. Tinea unguium involving the fingernails was seen in 85.7% of cases while involvement of the toenails occurred in the remaining 14.3% (Table 3).
Guillot, "Identification of Malassezia species isolated from patients with seborrhoeic dermatitis, atopic dermatitis, pityriasis versicolor and normal subjects," Medical Mycology, vol.
The efficacy of topical application of terbinafine 1% solution in subjects with pityriasis versicolor: a placebo-controlled study.
Keywords: Pityriasis versicolor, susceptibility, disc diffusion, ketoconazole, fluconazole, miconazole, Malassezia spp.
Among the fungal infections, pityriasis versicolor was the most common, seen in 44 patients [16%), followed by onychomycosis seen in 32 patients (11.6%).
Objective: To compare the efficacy of single dose of oral itraconazole 400mg with 1% topical clotrimazole in the treatment of pityriasis versicolor.
Many studies have been reported about seborrheic dermatitis and pityriasis versicolor that performed based on different molecular diagnosis(Shokohi, et al.