phagocytic disorderPhagocytic disease Immunology Any rare qualitative disorder of phagocytic WBCs, which may be familial and accompanied by generalized metabolic dysfunction; the prototypic PD is chronic granulomatous disease. See Chronic granulomatous disease. Cf Histiocytic diseases.
Structural & functional defects
• Alder-Reilly anomaly
• Chédiak-Higashi anomaly
• Familial vacuolization of leukocytes (Jordan's anomaly)
• May-Hegglin anomaly
• Pelger-Huët anomaly
• Pseudo- (or acquired) Pelger-Huët anomaly
• Hereditary giant neutrophilia
• Hereditary hypersegmentation of neutrophilic nuclei
Functional defects–without structural changes
• Chronic granulomatous disease
• Myeloperoxidase deficiency
• CD11/CD18 adhesive protein deficiency
• Other enzyme defects
McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.