out-of-hours competencyA generic term for the ability to handle unexpected or unusual situations that may occur during off hours, in order to practise independently as a GP or consultant.
Key competencies for out-of-hours care for GPs
• Ability to manage common medical, surgical and psychiatric emergencies;
• Understand the organisational aspects of out-of-hours care, nationally and locally;
• Ability to make appropriate referral to hospitals and other professionals;
• Communication and consultation skills required for out-of-hours care;
• Individual time and stress management;
• Maintenance of personal security and awareness, and manage security risks to others.
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.