rosemary(redirected from old man)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to old man: old boy
Rosmarinus officinalis(trade name),
compass plant/weed(trade name),
polar plant(trade name)
Alopecia areata.Inducing abortion.
Essential oil has a spasmonthlytic effect on gastrointestinal smooth muscle, positive inotropic effect on heart, and increases coronary and menstrual blood flow. Topical use irritates the skin and increases blood circulation.
Improved hair growth.
Menstrual flow stimulant.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Contraindicated in: Hypersensitivity;Pregnancy.
Use Cautiously in: Lactation;Seizure disorders;Ingestion of undiluted essential oil can be toxic and cause significant adverse effects.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Central nervous system
- contact dermatitis
- uterine bleeding
Interactions↑risk of seizures with drugs that lower seizure threshold ↑risk of bleeding with antiplatelet agents or anticoagulants None.
Oral (Adults) 1–2 g of crude leaf/150 mL water ingested three times daily as tea
Topical (Adults) 3 drops of rosemary oil (114 mg) in combination with other essential oils massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption
- Assess amount of alopecia prior to and periodically during therapy.
- Lab Test Considerations: Monitor blood sugar and serum electrolytes periodically during therapy.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesDeficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family Teaching)
- Oral: Administer as directed.
- Topical: Mix 3 drops of rosemary oil (114 mg) in combination with other essential oils massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption.
- Instruct patient to take or use rosemary as directed.
- Caution female patients to avoid using rosemary and notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding. May lead to abortion.
- Improved hair growth.
Drug Guide, © 2015 Farlex and Partners
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.