Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
brain tumorNeurology A neoplasm affecting the brain which may be 1º–brain or meninges, or 2º–ie metastatic to the brain; malignant gliomas account for 2.5% of all cancer-related deaths; BTs are the 3rd most common CA in ages 15-34; 35,000 BTs occur/yr–US; 1st-degree relatives of children with brain tumors have a 5-fold ↑ in the risk of CNS tumors, leukemia, and other childhood tumors in the affected family Clinical Seizures, vision or hearing loss, hemiparesis, double vision, headache, weird behavior, N&V, memory loss Imaging MRI without and with contrast, CT Management Surgery, gamma knife radiotherapy are often effective; chemotherapy, immunotherapy are not. See Gamma knife.
- Craniopharyngioma, colloid cysts
- Meningioma, pituitary adenoma, acoustic neuroma, epidermoid tumors, choroid plexus papilloma
- Primary–low grade
- Pilocytic astrocytoma, astrocytoma, hemangioblastoma, oligodendroglioma, ganglioglioma
- Anaplastic astrocytoma, glioblastoma multiforme, ependymoma, lymphoma, medulloblastoma, primitive neuroectodermal tumor, germ cell tumor, pineal cell tumor, chordoma, choroid plexus carcinoma
- Carcinoma, meningeal carcinomatosis