Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to molar concentration: normality
1. increase in strength by evaporation.
2. the ratio of the mass or volume of a solute to the mass or volume of the solution or solvent.
3. intense mental focus.
hydrogen ion concentration see hydrogen ion concentration.
mass concentration the mass of a constituent substance divided by the volume of the mixture, as milligrams per liter (mg/l).
mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) the average hemoglobin concentration in erythrocytes, conventionally expressed in “per cent,” meaning grams per deciliter of red blood cells, obtained by dividing the blood hemoglobin concentration (in g/dl) by the hematocrit (in l/l): MCHC = Hb/Hct.
minimal alveolar concentration (MAC) the concentration of anesthetic that at a pressure of 1 atmosphere produces immobility in 50 per cent of subjects exposed to a noxious stimulus.
minimal bactericidal concentration (MBC) the lowest concentration of a given antibiotic required to kill a specific organism.
minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) the lowest concentration of a given antibiotic that inhibits the growth of a specific organism.
molar concentration the concentration of a substance expressed in terms of molarity.
concentration test a test of renal function based on the patient's ability to concentrate urine; see also fishberg concentration test.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
mo·lar(mō'lăr), Do not confuse this word with molal.
1. Denoting a grinding, abrading, or wearing away.
2. Synonym(s): molar tooth
3. Massive; relating to a mass; not molecular.
4. Denoting a concentration of 1 g.-molecular weight (1 mol) of solute per liter of solution, the common unit of concentration in chemistry. Compare: molal.
5. Denoting specific quantity, for example, molar volume (volume of 1 mol).
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
The number of moles of a substance in a specified volume of solution.See: mass concentration
See also: concentration
The number of moles of a substance in a specified volume of solution.
Medical Dictionary, © 2009 Farlex and Partners