Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. a gland that contains both serous and mucous secretory units;
2. a gland that is both exocrine and endocrine, for example, the pancreas.
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
mix·ed gland(mikst gland)
1. A gland that contains both serous and mucous secretory units.
2. A gland that is both exocrine and endocrine, e.g., the pancreas.
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012
1. A gland that secretes in two different fashions, e.g., endocrine and exocrine, such as the pancreas.
2. A gland that contains two different secretory cell types, e.g., mucous and serous cells, such as in the salivary glands.
See also: gland
Medical Dictionary, © 2009 Farlex and Partners