Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The berries of Viscum album (family Loranthaceae), a parasitic plant growing on apple, pear, and other trees; has been used as an oxytocic. Synonym(s): mistletoe
2. Herbage of Phoradendron flavescens, American mistletoe; has been used as an oxytocic and emmenagoque.
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
1. Any of various semiparasitic plants of the order Santalales that grow on the branches of other plants, especially Viscum album of Eurasia and Phoradendron leucarpum of North America, both of which have leathery evergreen leaves and waxy white berries. Extracts of the Eurasian species are sometimes used for medicinal purposes.
2. A sprig of mistletoe, often used as a Christmas decoration.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
mistletoe(1) American mistletoe, see there; Phoradendron jlavescens.
(2) European mistletoe (Viscum alhum), a parasitic evergreen plant that has been used for hypertension and cancer.
Mistletoe is poisonous; the FDA lists it as unsafe and does not approve its use.
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.