Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
recurring symptoms experienced by some women during the climacteric period; they include hot flashes, chills, headache, irritability, and depression.
Synonym(s): climacteric syndrome
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
menopauseThe cessation of menstrual activity in women due to failure to form ovarian follicles, which normally occurs at age 45–50; menopause < age of 40 is considered premature.
Menstrual irregularity, vasomotor instability, hot flushes, irritability, increased weight, painful breasts, dyspareunia, increased/decreased libido, atrophy of urogenital epithelium and skin, ASHD, MI, strokes, and osteoporosis (which can be lessened by hormone replacement therapy (HRT), the disadvantage of which is an increase in endometrial and breast cancer, possibly hypertension, thromboembolism and gallbladder disease).
• Bladder—Cystourethritis, frequency/urgency, stress incontinence.
• Breasts—Decreased Size, softer consistency, sagging.
• Cardiovascular—Angina, ASHD, CAD.
• Endocrine—Hot flashes/flushes.
• Mucocutaneous—Atrophy, dryness, pruritus, facial hirsutism, dry mouth.
• Neurologic—Psychological, sleep disturbances.
• Pelvic floor—Uterovaginal prolapse.
• Skeleton—Osteoporosis, fractures, low back pain.
• Vagina—Bloody discharge, dyspareunia, vaginitis.
• Vocal cords—Deepened voice.
• Vulva—Atrophy, dystrophy, pruritus.
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.