meningococcal group B vaccine
meningococcal group B vaccine(me-nin-go-kok-al groop B vax-seen),
Pregnancy Category: B
ClassificationTherapeutic: vaccines immunizing agents
Bexsero—Provides active immunization against invasive meningococcal disease caused by 3 strains of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B (strains prevalent in the US). Tremenba—Provides active immunization against invasive meningococcal disease caused by 4 strains of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B (strains prevalent in the US).
Induces production of antibodies to several strains of serogroup B Neisseria meningitidis.
Prevention of invasive meningococcal disease.
Absorption: Well absorbed following IM administration.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown.
Time/action profile (antibody response)
|IM||within 2 mo||unknown||unknown|
Contraindicated in: Severe allergic reaction to a previous dose; Latex allergy (Bexsero tip caps contain latex).
Use Cautiously in: Geriatric: Safe and effective use in patients >65 yr has not been established; Lactation: Use cautiously if breastfeeding; Obstetric: Use during pregnancy only if clearly needed; Pediatric: Safe and effective use in children <10 yr not established (>90% risk of fever in infants <12 mo).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Central nervous system
- fatigue (most frequent)
- headache (most frequent)
- nausea (most frequent)
- injection site reactions (most frequent)
- arthralgia (most frequent)
- mylagia (most frequent)
- allergic reactions including anaphylaxis
- chills (most frequent)
Drug-Drug interactionConcurrent use of immunosuppressives may ↓ the desired immune response.
Intramuscular (Adults and Children 10–25 yr) Two 0.5 ml doses one mo apart.
Intramuscular (Adults and Children 10–25 yr) 0.5 ml followed by a second dose 2 mo later and a third dose 4 mo after the second dose.
Suspension for IM injection (Bexsero tip caps contain latex): 0.5 ml in pre-filled syringes
- Monitor for signs and symptoms of allergic reaction (dyspnea, rash, hives, swelling of face, lips, or throat). Keep epinephrine, an antihistamine, and resuscitation equipment close by in the event of an anaphylactic reaction.
- Assess for latex allergy. Bexsero tip cap contains latex.
- Assess for syncope. Make patient is sitting or lying down during and immediately following injections.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesRisk for infection (Indications)
- Intramuscular: Shake syringe vigorously for a homogenous white suspension; do not use if solution has separated, discolored, or contains particulate matter. Administer 0.5 mL IM into deltoid muscle of upper arm. Do not mix with other vaccines in same syringe.
- Explain purpose of vaccine to patient/parent. Emphasize need for 2 doses of immunization series for Bexseroor 3 doses for Tremenba.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Prevention of invasive meningococcal disease including meningitis.