kretek


Also found in: Wikipedia.
A cigarette made of tobacco leaves, cloves, and spices prepared from the dried flowers of a tropical tree, Eugenia aromatica; CCs are produced in Indonesia, where they are the preferred (smoked by 90% of smokers) smoking product; 30–40% is shredded clove buds, while the rest is tobacco

kretek

[A city in Indonesia]
A cigarette consisting of tobacco mixed with clove, originally smoked in Indonesia. Like other flavored cigarettes (e.g. bidis), kretek is popular in Western nations among adolescent smokers.
References in periodicals archive ?
9% in 2014, led by its strong brand portfolio including Dji Sam Soe and A Mild in premium segment and Sampoerna Kretek and U Mild in the medium price segment.
Hilebrand F, Giannoudis PV, Kretek C, Pape HC: Damage control: extremities.
I don't think this will have much impact in grocery, because in almost all states, cigarettes are already under lock and key or in a non-entry space in the store," says John Geoghegan, director of strategic planning and brand development for Kretek International, Inc.
Kretek (NOTE--SPELLING IS CORRECT), a distinctive type of cigarettes made with a blend of tobacco, cloves and other flavours, made up 93% of the total output in 2008.
On an early evening hot August day in 1980 Dean Hardjono setting cross-legged in a large Dutch colonial style chair drinking from a glass of heavily brown sugar sweetened tea and smoking endless numbers of kretek (clove and tobacco mixture) cigarettes, speaking much like a dalang at the end of a long shadow play, emphatically recounted how the now materialistic-driven Soeharto New Order government would fall into disorder.
b) AURORA, BOABAB, CLINIC, CLINIC, DUELED, ENGAGE, ESTATE, GANING, HACHCH, KRETEK, LYOSOL (a synthetic resin concentrate), MOUSUM, OPINIO, PHILIP, REELER, SCENES, SWEDES, TENANT, TWILIT, YEANAY
Tjandra Aditama: About 80 percent of Indonesian tobacco sales are kretek cigarettes, a local clove cigarette.
The rally had been held to ask a local firm, Kretek International of Moorpark, which Maez said was the nation's largest importer of Bidis, to stop bringing in the product.
Future prospects look bleak since Indonesia, the largest market for Zanzibari cloves which are used in the kretek cigarettes, has embarked on a drive to self sufficiency.
Indonesia - Approximately 2,000 farmers, representing millions of growers of clove and tobacco, will gather in Surabaya and Jakarta to encourage the Indonesian government to continue to support them against international regulation that poses a threat to the kretek industry and the millions it employs.
Dji Sam Soe, A Mild, Sampoerna Kretek and U Mild, are the key brands of Sampoerna.
Kretek, or clove cigarettes, accounted for 93% of the market--with unscented 'whites' making up the remaining 7%, according to the Institute.