irritate

(redirected from irritating)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

irritate

(ĭr′ĭ-tāt′)
v. irri·tated, irri·tating, irri·tates
v.tr.
1. To cause (someone) to feel impatient or angry; annoy: a loud, bossy voice that irritates listeners.
2. To make sore or inflamed: The smoke irritated my eyes.
3. Physiology To cause a physiological response to a stimulus in (a cell, body tissue, or organism).
v.intr.
To be a cause of impatience or anger.

ir′ri·tat′ing·ly adv.
ir′ri·ta′tor n.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
"I'm sure you will agree that as parents we are the only ones who have permission to describe our own offspring as appallingly irritating.
This means that only 27pc of people ever look at their pictures, and I strongly suspect they are the ones who are irritating the other 73pc at the dinner tables by boasting of the success of their diets and showing them the pictures of their lithe, slimmed down, tanned bodies on the world's beaches.
Junk mail came fourth with 14 percent branding it life's most irritating creation.
In fact elderly motorists only feature at 8th on the 60 and over list, with only 22% saying they find elderly motorists the most irritating.
In the results section, they describe the responses to these questions as indicative of "reactivity" when in fact they are responses to whether something is "irritating" or "appealing." In the general population, only about 30% found scented products "irritating," leaving 70% who found them "appealing," a high level of appeal which the authors chose not to emphasize.
Meanwhile binman Miller said: "I do get a buzz irritating the public when I can." Believe me, you were very irritating.
Elderly drivers were deemed the most courteous although they were voted second in the list of the most irritating drivers.
But confusing signs and circulars haven't disappeared, and from time to time, checkout lines stop moving and start irritating customers who want out.
The best we can do is to say that hiccups are caused by something irritating the diaphragm.
Irritating fumes led to a security checkpoint and two ticket counters being closed for several hours on 22 August at Minneapolis - St Paul International Airport.
The creepy lengths he goes to in the process make him an unlikeable "hero" and narrator and his actions become increasingly baffling and irritating.
(A) joints to stiffen, irritating surrounding muscles.