intussuscept


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.

intussuscept

(ĭn′tə-sə-sĕpt′)
tr.v. intussus·cepted, intussus·cepting, intussus·cepts
To take within, as in telescoping one part of the intestine into another; invaginate.

in′tus·sus·cep′tive adj.
References in periodicals archive ?
(2011) stated that trans-rectal palpation of suspected intussuscepted mass proved to be an important aid in initial tentative diagnosis and opined that small body size of Indian crossbred cattle might be the enabling factor for better transrectal exploration of abdomen.
The ultrasonographic appearances of intussuscepted segment were reported as 'target like' or 'bull's eye' pattern on transverse imaging (Braun et al., 1995 and Pravettoni et al., 2009) and 'sandwich configuration' on longitudinal imaging (Karapinar, 2007).
The CT study helped to determine the viability of the intussuscepted loop prior to surgery, thus reducing the extent of surgical treatment and only the tumor was removed.
Debate in the literature on appropriate surgical treatment for adult intussusception focuses largely on initial resection of the intussuscepted segment versus reduction followed by a more limited resection.
Caption: FIGURE 3: Intraoperative laparoscopic view of the intussuscepted portion of the ileum, showing dense fixation at the lead point.
During the operation, we noted a firm mass at the cecum; in addition, the appendix was partially intussuscepted (Figure C).
The treatment of intussusception in adults consists of resection of the intussuscepted mass.
According to the type of intussuscepted loop, JGI is classified into three types: type I, antegrade or afferent loop intussusception; type II, retrograde or efferent loop intussusception; and type III, combined form, [5] Efferent loop JGI is seen in 80% of the cases as in the present case, while others account for the remaining 20%.
[9] In the acute form, incarceration and strangulation of the intussuscepted loop causing acute severe epigastric pain, vomiting and subsequently, hematemesis generally occur.
(13) One less well-known sign that the authors have found to be predictive of intussusception is "ileization" of the right lower quadrant, ie, visualization of gas-filled small-bowel loops in the right lower quadrant, filling the "vacuum" left by the intussuscepted cecwn and ascending colon (Figure 7).
In the acute form, incarceration and strangulation of the intussuscepted loop generally occurs, whilst spontaneous reduction is usual in the chronic type.
The tissue were viable so intussuscepted part was corrected only by slow sliding of the telescoped portion of the intestine apart.