intron


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

in·tron

(in'tron),
A portion of DNA that lies between two exons, is transcribed into RNA, but does not appear in that mRNA after maturation because the intron is removed and the exons spliced together, and so is not expressed (as protein) in protein synthesis. By customary usage, the term is extended to the corresponding regions in the primary transcript of mRNA before maturation.
[inter- + -on]
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012

intron

(ĭn′trŏn)
n.
A segment of a gene situated between exons that is removed before translation of messenger RNA and does not function in coding for protein synthesis.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

in·tron

(in'tron)
A portion of DNA that lies between two exons, is transcribed into RNA, but does not appear in that RNA after maturation, and so is not expressed (as protein) in protein synthesis.
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012

intron

A non-coding segment of a DISCONTINUOUS GENE. Introns are lengths of DNA interposed between coding segments (EXONS) in a gene and are transcribed into MESSENGER RNA but are then removed from the transcript and the exons spliced together. Introns do not contain biological information.
Collins Dictionary of Medicine © Robert M. Youngson 2004, 2005

intron

or (‘in’ for intervening) - an intervening nucleotide sequence in an INTERRUPTED split gene. Such sequences are transcribed into primary RNA transcripts, but then excised from the RNA, leaving behind the EXON sequences for the functional gene product. See RNA PROCESSING, RNA SPLICING.
Collins Dictionary of Biology, 3rd ed. © W. G. Hale, V. A. Saunders, J. P. Margham 2005
References in periodicals archive ?
BCR 3 Isoform (Short isoform): Fusion of PML gene involving intron 6 of breakpoint cluster region (bcr) on chromosome 15 with intron 2 of RAR[alpha] gene on chromosome 17 leads to formation of bcr3 (short isoform) which was detected by conventional double nested PCR.
Similarly, Tp53 intron 3 positions 9246, 9248 and 9263found polymorphic/heterozygous (T/G), (T/G) and (C/G) in cancerous tissues and found homozygous (T), (T) and (C) in germ line tissues in sampleID (DP5) (Table 4).
(2007) have investigated the SNPs of bubaline leptin gene exon 2, exon 3 and part of the intron 1 in Italian and Egyptian Buffaloes.
Intron Technology intends to offer an aggregate of 250,000,000 shares (the "Offer Shares") under the Global Offering (subject to the over-allotment option), of which 90% will be initially offered as the placing shares (subject to reallocation and the over-allotment option) and the remaining 10% will be initially offered as the Hong Kong offer shares (subject to reallocation).
Six novel mutations, namely, p.Trp12* (exon 1), p.Asn76Thr (exon 3), p.Ser673Argfs*6 (exon 14), p.Cys698Arg (exon 14), c.4352+4A>C (intron 29) and c.5714+1G>C (intron 40), and c.4352+1G>A (intron 29) previously reported by us [18], were detected in this study.
PPAR[alpha] Intron 7 G/C, PPAR[gamma]2 Pro12Ala, and PPAR[gamma] Exon 6 C161T Allele Distribution in Postinfarction Patients and Reference Individuals.
In this study, the AluSx element is exonized in intron 8 of TSEN54 (Figures 2 and 3).
The 8 coding sequences, exon-intron boundaries, and part of introns were sequenced by Sanger sequencing in 4 products of PCR (polymerase chain reaction) amplification using 4 pairs of primers (Table 2).
Thus, the purpose of this study was to verify the influence of the genotype or haplotype (interaction) of the NOS3 polymorphisms [-786T>C, 894G>T (Glu298Asp), and intron 4b/a] on the response to multicomponent training for BP, nitrite concentration, oxidative stress, antioxidant activity, and physical fitness in older adult women.
Wyler et al., "Analysis of intron sequences reveals hallmarks of circular RNA biogenesis in animals," Cell Reports, vol.
Examining the set of 7 unique identified novel HLA-A alleles, polymorphisms were found within intron 1 (n = 1), intron 3 (n = 3), intron 5 (n = 1), and intron 6 (n = 2).
The presence of the intron 22 inversion was investigated using a touchdown inverse PCR method, as previously described (11).