institutionalization(redirected from institutionalizes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. commitment of a patient to a health care facility for treatment, often psychiatric.
2. in patients hospitalized for a long period, the development of excessive dependency on the institution and its routines, with diminishing of the will to function independently.
1. Residence in or confinement to a nursing home or other long-term care setting for an extended period.
2. Arranging for a person to be placed in a health care facility.
3. The process in which people who live together gradually develop certain common patterns of behavior and thought (e.g., assumption of illness and depression apathy, behaviors frequently associated with nursing home residency). The current movement in medicine and nursing is away from institutionalism to a more homelike environment.