inpatient transfer-outAn NHS (UK) term of art for any of a number of events in the course of a patient’s movement away from the starting point.
• Inpatient between two specialties in the same hospital, except when the patient goes “on pass”, which is only allowed for geriatric long-stay and mental health patients.
• Inpatient between hospitals—including contracted beds in non-NHS institutions, except when the patient goes “on pass”, as above.
• Inpatient changes significant facility.
• Inpatient moves to a different consultant in same specialty in same hospital for medical reasons.
• Inpatient moves from an inpatient service to a day-case service and there is NO expectation of return to the same consultant in the same inpatient service (e.g., a non-embedded day case).
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.