Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
inpatientadjective Referring to a patient admitted to hospital.
noun A term defined in the UK as a patient who:
(1) Occupies an available staffed bed in hospital and either remains overnight for any reason (except haemodialysis), or at admission is expected to remain overnight, but is discharged (by transfer out or death) earlier.
(2) Is a mother who delivers in hospital and whose admission and discharge occurs between successive bed counts, usually overnight.
(3) Is admitted as an emergency or urgent case, and
• Stays, regardless of length of stay; or
• Dies, whether or not a bed was occupied; or
• Undergoes a major operation without occupying a bed in the relevant specialty.
(4) Is a psychiatric patient.
inpatientA person staying in a hospital, at least overnight, for treatment.
Patient discussion about inpatient
Q. Bipolar inpatient experience? I am 39 yrs old and diagnosed with Bipolar Mood Disorder. I was hospitalized in the last year for a servere depressive episode. I became suicidal and morbidly depressed after being on the wrong meds. I have been taking different meds for 10 months now and they are helping ALOT. Problem is that there is a fall out-- my husband, who suffers from bipolar as well, had to watch me go down a horrible path-- he also had to take care of our son whie I was inpatient for a few weeks. It traumatized him pretty badly. I feel guilty about the whole thing. I guess I am just looking for support and asking if anyone has experienced something similar. Thanks.More discussions about inpatient