Also found in: Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. a substance formed by decomposition of tryptophan in the intestines and excreted in the urine.
2. a yellow indoxyl glycoside from indigo plants.
1. Indoxyl β-d-glucoside from Indigofera species and Polygonium tinctorium; a source of indigo. Synonym(s): plant indican
1. A potassium salt, C8H6NO4SK, found in urine and formed by the conversion of tryptophan to indole by intestinal bacteria.
2. A glucoside, C14H17NO6, found in the indigo plant and used as a source for indigo dye.