Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
1. not having joints; disjointed.
2. uttered so as to be unintelligible; incapable of articulate speech.
1. Not articulate in speech.
2. Unable to express oneself satisfactorily in words.
1. Uttered without the use of normal words or syllables; incomprehensible as speech or language: "a cry ... that ... sank down into an inarticulate whine" (Jack London).
2. Unable to speak; speechless: inarticulate with astonishment.
3. Unable to speak with clarity or eloquence: an inarticulate debater.
4. Going unexpressed: inarticulate sorrow.
5. Biology Not having joints or segments.
in′ar·tic′u·late·ness, in′ar·tic′u·la·cy (-lə-sē) n.
1. Not fluent in the form of intelligible speech.
2. Unable to satisfactorily express oneself in words.