Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. parallel to the plane of the horizon.
2. spreading from one individual to another; see horizontal transmission.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Of, relating to, or near the horizon.
a. Parallel to or in the plane of the horizon.
b. At right angles to a vertical line.
3. Occupying or restricted to the same level in a hierarchy: a horizontal study of verbal ability; a horizontal transfer by an employee.
4. Medicine Of or relating to transmission of infection by contact with or physical proximity to an infected individual or fomite.
Something, such as a line, plane, or object, that is horizontal.
hor′i·zon·tal′i·ty (-zən-tăl′ĭ-tē), hor′i·zon′tal·ness n.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.