high-dependency careAn intensity of patient care and monitoring,below intensive care, which is intended for early detection of serious problems, detailed monitoring and control of symptoms.
Pulse oximeter, non-invasive blood pressure monitor. Immediately available equipment includes EKG, nerve stimulator, some form of thermometer, capnograph.
• Women who require hourly monitoring.
• Severe pregnancy induced hypertension.
• Severe antepartum haemorrhage.
• Major primary or secondary postpartum haemorrhage.
• Post hysterectomy following post-partum haemorrhage.
• Elevated Maternity Early Warning Score.
• Severe infection/sepsis.
• Sudden unexplained collapse.
• HELLP Syndrome (haemolysis, elevated liver enzymes and low platelet count).
• Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC).
• Uncontrolled diabetes.
• Certain cardiac, pulmonary, neurological or renal disorders.