Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
healthcare professionalAs defined in the UK, a healthcare professional is a person associated with either a specialty or a discipline and who is qualified and allowed by regulatory bodies to provide a healthcare service to a patient.
Healthcare professionals (UK)
• Medical and dental staff.
• Nurses, midwives and health visitors.
• Professions allied to medicine (PAMs)—e.g., clinical psychologists, dieticians, physiotherapists.
• Accident & Emergency ambulance staff/paramedics.
• Other professionals who have direct patient contact—e.g. pharmacists, medical photographers, medical records staff.