hard palate


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hard palate: soft palate

hard pal·ate

[TA]
1. the anterior part of the palate, consisting of the bony palate covered above by the mucous membrane of the floor of the nasal cavity and below by the mucoperiosteum of the roof of the mouth, which contains the palatine vessels, nerves, and mucous glands; Synonym(s): palatum durum [TA]
2. in cephalometrics, a line connecting the anterior and posterior nasal spines to represent the position of the bony palate.
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012

hard palate

n.
The relatively hard, bony anterior portion of the palate.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

hard pal·ate

(hahrd pal'ăt) [TA]
1. The anterior part of the palate, consisting of the bony palate covered above by the mucous membrane of the floor of the nasal cavity and below by the mucoperiosteum of the roof of the mouth that contains the palatine vessels, nerves, and mucous glands.
2. cephalometrics A line connecting the anterior and posterior nasal spines to represent the position of the bony palate.
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012

hard pal·ate

(hahrd pal'ăt) [TA]
Anterior part of palate, consisting of bony palate covered above by mucous membrane of the floor of the nasal cavity and below by the mucoperiosteum of the roof of the mouth, which contains the palatine vessels, nerves, and mucous glands.
Medical Dictionary for the Dental Professions © Farlex 2012
References in periodicals archive ?
Group B (n=80): Patients with a left septal deviation accompanied by hard palate angulation.
Sankalecha, "Soft tissue chondroma of hard palate associated with cleft palate," Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol.
Surgical methods utilized included gold weight implantation, lateral tarsal strip (LTS), suborbicularis oculi fat pad (SOOF) elevation with subperiosteal approach, hard palate graft, and tarsorrhaphy.
A 47-year-old male presented to the Department of Head and Neck Oncology, with a ulcerative lesion in the hard palate with difficulty in deglutition since 1 year.
Previous case reports of both abuse and nonabuse cases document lesions of the hard palate, laceration of the pharyngeal wall, and injury to the oral mucosa, upper gingiva, and floor of the mouth [2].
Danni added: "The skin has begun to grow over the mesh the vets put over the hole in his hard palate and he is coping well with his feeding tube."
The dorsal nasal turbinate was the longest and extended from level of third transverse rugae of hard palate to level of cribriform plate of ethmoid bone and it continued rostrally as straight fold.
There were 32 (84.2%) anterior fistulae whilst the remaining 6 (15.8%) were located at the junction of soft and hard palate. The mean fistula size was 8 mm 1.6 mm, ranging from 6 mm to 15 mm.
Common locations include the inside lining of the cheeks and lips, although the tongue and hard palate may also be affected.
Awareness of a vibrational locus in the mouth, usually along the hard palate and above, according to the image in Figure 3 can assist with maintaining an open-throated, chiaroscuro timbre.
Of note was a generalised varicella lesion involving the mucous membrane of the hard palate (Fig.
A 2x2cm tender paramedian mass with a small central ulcer was seen and felt on the hard palate anteriorly (see Figure 1 and 2).