hair shaft


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.

hair shaft

the nongrowing portion of a hair that protrudes from the skin, that is, from the follicle.
Synonym(s): scapus pili

hair shaft

The keratinized portion of a hair that extends from a hair follicle beyond the surface of the epidermis.
See: hair
See also: shaft
References in periodicals archive ?
However, the findings support data from previous studies indicating that PAD 13 plays an important role in proper hair shaft formation, the researchers wrote.
Providers may see irregular geometric shapes of hair loss, and on close inspection see broken hair shafts of different lengths.
Brown peripilar sign (BPPS) is characterized by a brown halo around the emergent hair shaft with a diameter of approximately 1mm.
"They are strongly expressed in the hair follicle and have their function in building the hair shaft."
Dabur Amla Snake Oil Extreme Shine Serum - with its Amla-Silico Complex - revitalizes dull and life-less hair strands and adds vigor and radiance, helping you leave your bad hair days behind; while the range's Split Ends Seal variant helps in tackling split ends - one of the most common hair problems - by coating the hair shafts, thereby providing deep conditioning along the entire length of the hair strands.
In hair care, Jeesilc[R] ER-1 enhances shine and increases adhesion of hair fixatives on the hair shaft without weighing the hair down.
Unlike many other hair care products that addresses only the outer 5% of the hair fiber, the new Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner goes deep inside the hair shaft - to the cellular level - to work on the remaining 95% where damaging impurities exist.
Twenty-nine chapters are: trichoscopy patterns; normal scalp; instruments for scalp dermoscopy; nonscarring alopecias; primary scarring alopecias; hair shaft disorders; pediatric hair disorders; dermoscopy of the black scalp; hair weathering; systemic diseases; inflammatory scalp disorders; infections; parasitoses of the scalp; body hair disorders; hair root evaluation; dermoscopy-guided biopsies; ex vivo dermoscopy; dermoscopy in canine and feline alopecia; dermoscopy of the nail plate; dermoscopy of the proximal nail fold; dermoscopy of the hyponychium; dermoscopy of the distal edge of the nail plate; inflammatory nail disorders; traumatic nail disorders; brittle nails; onychomycosis; nail tumors; melanonychia; connective tissue disorders.
Regular trims are so important - if left, split ends can travel further up the hair shaft and cause hair to look dull and lifeless.
The latest fillers for hair come to the rescue by expanding the hair shaft.