Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to final host: paratenic host
1. an animal or plant that harbors and provides sustenance for another organism (the parasite).
2. the recipient of an organ or other tissue derived from another organism (the donor).
accidental host one that accidentally harbors an organism that is not ordinarily parasitic in the particular species.
definitive host (final host) a host in which a parasite attains sexual maturity.
intermediate host a host in which a parasite passes one or more of its asexual stages; usually designated first and second, if there is more than one.
paratenic host a potential or substitute intermediate host that serves until the appropriate definitive host is reached, and in which no development of the parasite occurs; it may or may not be necessary to the completion of the parasite's life cycle.
host of predilection the host preferred by a parasite.
primary host definitive host.
reservoir host an animal (or species) that is infected by a parasite, and which serves as a source of infection for humans or another species.
secondary host intermediate host.
transfer host one that is used until the appropriate definitive host is reached, but is not necessary to completion of the life cycle of the parasite.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
one in which a parasite reaches the adult or sexually mature stage.
Synonym(s): final host
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
host(host) [L. hospes, stranger, guest, host]
1. The organism from which a parasite obtains its nourishment.
2. In embryology, the larger and more relatively normal of conjoined twins.
3. In transplantation of tissue, the one who receives the graft.
A host other than the usual or normal one.
alternate hostIntermediate host (1).
A person who lacks resistance to infection due to to a deficiency in any of the host defenses.See: AIDS; host defense mechanisms; immunocompromised
An infected organism that does not have the ability to transmit infection to the definitive host.Synonym: incidental host
1. The final host or the host in which the parasite reaches sexual maturity. Synonym: final host
2. The vertebrate, when the intermediate host is an invertebrate.
final hostDefinitive host (1).
immunocompromised hostSee: immunocompromised
incidental hostDead-end host.
1. The host in which a parasite passes through its larval or asexual stages of development. Synonym: alternate host
2. The invertebrate host, when the final host is a vertebrate.
A parasitized organism in which the parasite thrives but does not undergo development.
host of predilection
The host preferred by a parasite.
A host other than the usual or normal one, in which a parasite is capable of living. The reservoir host is a source of infestation.
An interim host that is not essential for the completion of the life cycle of the parasite.
Medical Dictionary, © 2009 Farlex and Partners