farmed salmon

farmed salmon

An oily fish produced in a restricted space, factory-like setting. Farmed salmon may have multiple environmental toxins (including PCBs); farmed salmon often harbour sea lice and suffer from soft-flesh syndrome, infectious salmon anaemia and furunculosis. The meat is often artificially dyed (with canthaxanthin) to make it look more like wild salmon.
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Salmon Farmers Association[1] expects farmed salmon production to reach 20,000 t by 1990.
The doneness notes below are for farmed salmon; if you're using leaner wild-caught salmon, cook it until the center of the fillet registers 120 degrees for best results.
Farce Seafood, which became part of the Bakkafrost farmed salmon group at the beginning of the year, and is now in a process of integration, has rejoined the 3FFF.
"We found that farmed salmon contained seven to 10 times higher levels of PCBs, dioxins, and pesticides than wild salmon," said David Carpenter of the State University of New York at Albany nine years ago, after he and colleagues analyzed 700 farmed and wild salmon samples that had been bought in 2002.
Because of the presence of PCBs and other substances, the journal Environmental Research recommends that farmed salmon should be eaten no more than "between 0.4 and 1 meal per month.
THOUSANDS of farmed salmon have escaped into the sea after a ship smashed into fish cages.
She discovered that farmed salmon kept in floating net pens are breeders of sea lice; her findings have since been published in several journals, including Science magazine.
THE EUROPEAN Union (EU) Council of Ministers has made permanent the temporary minimum import price imposed last July on imports into the EU of Norwegian farmed salmon, albeit reducing the price from Euro 2.81/kilo to Euro 2.80.
Many people think farmed salmon is the way to get their omega-3 fatty acids without jeopardizing endangered wild salmon.
We also found that polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), toxaphene, dieldrin, dioxins, and polybrominated diphenyl ethers occurred at higher concentrations in European farm-raised salmon than in farmed salmon from North and South America.
The new joint venture, called Marine Harvest, will be the most important European producer and seller of farmed salmon. Nutreco will own 75% of the new company while Stolt-Nielsen will hold the remaining 25%.