end of life
Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
end of lifeCardiac pacing
noun The point at which a pacemaker signals a need for replacement, as its battery is nearing depletion.
adjective Referring to a final period (hours, days, weeks, months) in a person’s life, in which it is medically obvious that death is imminent or a terminal moribund state cannot be prevented. As in, end-of-life care.
End-of-life care—making decisions
• Establish supportive doctor-patient relationship;
• Designate surrogate decision maker;
• Identify patient’s general preferences.
• Keep message clear, avoid misunderstanding;
• Acknowledge prognostic limitations.
Identify end-of-life goals:
• Determine if preferences have changed;
• Identify individual priorities.
Develop treatment plan:
• Help patient understand treatment options;
• Discuss resuscitation;
• Discuss palliative care.