embolic


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to embolic: embolic stroke

embolic

 [em-bol´ik]
pertaining to embolism or an embolus.

em·bol·ic

(em-bol'ik),
Relating to an embolus or to embolism.

embolic

(ĕm-bŏl′ĭk)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or caused by an embolus or an embolism.
2. Of or relating to emboly.

em·bol·ic

(em-bol'ik)
Relating to an embolus or to embolism.

Patient discussion about embolic

Q. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions regarding aerobic exercise post DVT and/or PE?

A. drink a lot of water and be aware. if you take your meds i think there shouldn't be a problem, but i strongly recommend asking your physician about it. he knows you and the problem and can give you a much much better answer.

Q. What is the differential diagnosis of chest pain in a 35 year old woman? I am a 35 years old woman. I suffer from chest pain for about 24 hours. I just came back from a trip to Europe, and i feel really bad. I smoke and I take anti contraceptive and i know that I am at a risk for pulmonary embolism or costochondritis. Cat it be something else?

A. The differential diagnosis of chest pain is very wide.
It can start in costochondritis if u carried a lot of luggage or might be pulmonary embolism if you didn't move from the chair all the flight. But it can also be a sign for an acute coronary syndrome (even at the age of 35) or a pericarditis. To be sure you need to consult with your GP.

More discussions about embolic
References in periodicals archive ?
Semi-solid (polyvinyl alcohol [PVA], Gelfoam slurry, Embozenes) and liquid (glue) embolic agents were injected through the coaxial needle after withdrawing the stylet.
Patients suffering from embolic events had much higher mortality rate.[9],[10] Since antiplatelet therapy was widely used to prevent the recurrence of cerebral and myocardial infarction,[11],[12] their use in patients with IE had been assessed in many studies.[13],[14],[15],[16] However, most studies did not observe the beneficial effect of antiplatelet therapy; instead, the increasing risk of bleeding was the major concern.[4],[5],[16],[17] Nowadays, antiplatelet therapy is not recommended as adjunctive therapy for prevention of embolism in IE patients.
Material and Methods: Patients suffering from old ([greater than or equal to]3 months) non-cardio embolic stroke, taking anti-platelet agents for secondary prevention and visiting CMH Lahore neurology clinic.
If the nidus was in the range of the cannula, liquid embolic agent (Onyx™18/34, eV3 Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA) was directly injected through it; otherwise, microcatheters were catheterized through the cannula into the nidus for safe embolization.
In our patient, with only 2 months elapsing between bilateral MCA embolic occlusions, we were able to provide mechanical thrombectomy with an excellent outcome.
Several types of agents are available, including non-calibrated PVA particles (Contour; Boston Scientific, Marlborough, Massachusetts), acrylic polymer microspheres impregnated with gelatin (Embosphere Microspheres, Biosphere Medical, Rockland, MA) and calibrated PVA microspheres (Beadblock, Terumo, Leuven, Belgium), liquid embolic agents including NBCA (Histoacryl, B.
Results: Sixteen out of fifty patients were diagnosed as cardiogenic embolic cerebral infarction by TEE (32%), including two cases of aortic plaques, six cases of atrial septal defect, two cases of atrial septal aneurysm, two cases of patent foramen ovale, one case of left atrial spontaneous echo contrast, one case of mitral prolapse and two case of mitral stenosis.
84 cases of ischemic stroke patients (57.9%) were thrombotic and the other 61 (42.1%) were of embolic origin.
It is a nonadhesive liquid embolic agent made with EVOH (ethylene vinyl alcohol) copolymer dissolved in DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide), and suspended in a micronized tantalum powder.
Complications can be classified into two categories, those related to local impact of the thrombus with pulmonary oedema, infarction, right ventricular failure, or even lung gangrene [7, 13], and those resulting from peripheral embolic phenomena to the brain (embolic stroke, transient ischemic attack) [2, 4, 5, 18, 19], spleen [2], kidney [2,14], or limb circulation [2,16].
acute ischemic stroke patients, especially African Americans and Hispanics, generally have more intracerebral atherostenotic disease than do patients from European countries, while French patients tend to have more embolic disease.
Anticoagulation was given in the setting of CHADS2Vasc score of 2, keeping in mind that the patient did not have any systemic embolic manifestations from the right atrial mass.