Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to drug tolerance: drug withdrawal
1. the ability to bear something potentially difficult.
2. the ability to endure unusually large doses of a poison or toxin.
3. drug tolerance. adj., adj tol´erant.
acquired drug tolerance drug tolerance.
ambiguity tolerance the ability to withstand conflicting or complex situations without undue psychological stress.
drug tolerance a decreasing response to repeated constant doses of a drug or the need for increasing doses to maintain a constant response. See also drug dependence and habituation.
immunologic tolerance specific nonreactivity of lymphoid tissues to a particular antigen capable under other conditions of inducing immunity.
standing tolerance the amount of time an individual is capable of maintaining an erect, upright position.
1. an exercise test to determine the efficiency of the circulation.
2. a test to determine the body's ability to metabolize a substance or to endure administration of a drug.