a mental phenomenon occurring during sleep
in which images, emotions, and thoughts are experienced with a sense of reality.
The interpretation of dream material is an important part of psychoanalysis
. According to psychoanalytic theory, dreams have both manifest content
and latent content
(see under content
). The patient's free associations
are used to discover the latent content
and to discover how that affects waking life.
2. to experience such a phenomenon. Dreaming occurs during REM sleep; typically there are four or five such periods a night, with a total duration of about 90 minutes. The psychological interpretation of dreams was originated by Freud, who theorized that dreams enable the conscious expression of repressed unconscious impulses and wishes. Such wishes and impulses (latent dream content) are distorted and disguised so as to be acceptable to the conscious mind by the defensive processes of condensation, displacement, and symbolization and are then worked into a coherent story by secondary elaboration; this entire process (dream work) results in the dream as remembered by the dreamer (manifest dream content).
Mental activity during sleep in which events, thought, emotions, and images are experienced as real.
1. a mental phenomenon occurring during REM sleep in which images, emotions, and thoughts are experienced with a sense of reality.
2. to experience such a phenomenon.
day dream wishful, purposeless reveries, without regard to reality.
1. A series of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.
2. A daydream; a reverie.
3. A state of abstraction; a trance: wandering around in a dream.
4. A condition or achievement that is longed for; an aspiration: a dream of owning their own business.
v. dreamed or dreamt (drĕmt), dreaming, dreams
1. To experience a dream in sleep: dreamed of meeting an old friend.
2. To have a deep aspiration or hope: dreaming of a world at peace.
1. To experience a dream of while asleep: Did it storm last night, or did I dream it?
2. To have as an aspiration or hope: She dreams that she will become a pilot.
Etymology: ME, dreem, joyful noise
Diabetes Reduction Assessment with Ramipril and Rosiglitazone Medication. A study designed to determine if ramipril and/or rosiglitazone prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes
1 a sequence of ideas, thoughts, emotions, or images that pass through the mind during the rapid-eye-movement stage of sleep.
2 the sleeping state in which this process occurs.
3 a visionary creation of the imagination experienced during wakefulness.
4 (in psychoanalysis) the expression of thoughts, emotions, memories, or impulses repressed from the consciousness.
(in analytic psychology) the wishes, emotions, and impulses that reflect the personal unconscious and the archetypes that originate in the collective unconscious. See also dream analysis, dream state
Conclusion Among persons with impaired fasting glucose levels or impaired glucose tolerance, the use of ramipril for 3 years does not significantly reduce the incidence of diabetes or death but does significantly increase regression to normoglycemia; 10.6% of people receiving rosiglitazone progressed to type 2 diabetes vs. 25% of people treated with placebo
dream Neurology A series of images and thought processes that occur during sleep which, in the framework of psychoanalysis, are believed to have latent and manifest content; eyelid movement and REM sleep coincide during dreams; dreaming is more common during REM sleep. See Wet dream.
Mental activity during sleep in which events, thoughts, emotions, and images are experienced as real.
Patient discussion about dream
Q. Hi! I am Kennedy.From my childhood I have always been dreaming of slim body. Hi! I am Kennedy. From my childhood I have always been dreaming of slim body and in fact I was slim before my wedding. But after my pregnancy and delivery, I lost my shape and I am desperate to regain my shape. I tried with post-pregnancy exercises, but they didn’t help me. I am open to any kind of treatment to get shape. I hate to hang out with my hubby as I feel inferior with my shape. I feel my muscles are not tight for my age. I just want to feel good for which I need to get shape. So what kind of fitness classes shall I join? I am not comfortable with body pumping…….Please let me know?
A. You can join Aerobic classes where they will have spinning and other exercises to make your body toned up and as well will control on your weight and blown tummy. Even though you don’t like on body pumping you must do them for some time till you find some control on your tummy. One other way is to start on running or sit-ups. Eat healthy diet esp. balanced diet and cut down on junk food, fried food and include whole-grain and fiber in your diet. Add more fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. Drink 8-10 glasses of water every day. I think your activity is not matching your calorie intake otherwise with simple post-pregnancy exercise you could lose extra fat.
Q. I also fear that if my case is diagnosed as Breast Cancer how can I achieve my dreams? I am a Mechanical Student currently in my second year. It is very rare to find a girl pursuing this course. In fact, all my friends and well wishers too have advised me that it may be tough for a girl pursuing this course of study. I am a very stubborn girl very much firm in my opinion. For the recent past months, I fear that I may be having a breast cancer. I have lethal classes which I always found to be difficult. Of late, I could see a lump in the under arm area which is painful when touched. I fear that this may be due to the heavy workout which I had to do as per my curriculum. I have got so many dreams to be achieved in the near future and this worry is causing me greater concern that I am not able to concentrate in my studies and my performance in the college has also declined to the significant level. I feel that this needs to be diagnosed without any further delay. I also fear that if my case is diagnosed as Breast Cancer how can I achieve my dreams and lead a full-fledged life? Please advise me suitably….
A. as jenniferLinda said -there's little to worry about. a lump under the arm can be from many things...there are lymph nodes over there and every viral infection can cause swelling. More discussions about dream